Application Date 2019-03-12 9:42:43
Application Language English
Applicant City Madrid
Applicant State/Province Madrid
Applicant Country Spain
What languages do you speak? English, Spanish, French
What is your occupation? Civil Servant
How many years experience in your field? 16+
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Doctorate or other terminal degree (for example, PhD, EdD)
Please describe your experience in the Crypto/Blockchain space, if any? Crypto/Blockchain enthusiast and investor since 2014
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Madrid
Node State Madrid
Node Country Spain
For which networks Have you ever operated a node? Pool miner of Monero. Boinc-based "mining" of XRP ("Computing for good" giveaway in 2014-15), including via AWS servers. Boinc-based "mining" of EOS-based BOID token.
What kind of improvements would you like to see in Elixxir nodes vs. previous the previous nodes you have supported?
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an Elixxir node? Just can think of very unlikely ISP restrictions.
What is a reasonable maximum connection speed on which you could operate a BetaNet node in your geographic region? (Where 0 = 10 Megabits/second, and 100 = 10 Gigabits/second) 50
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? (As a percentage) 95
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. . 0.12 USD/kWh
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator? (Where 0 = 1 hour/month, and 100 = 20 hours/month) 50
If you were selected to run a BetaNet node, would it run on your own hardware or be deployed to cloud-based servers? Hardware
In what type of environment would this server be located? Personal Home
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? No
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published Elixxir BetaNet node specifications? No
Yes (Please list specs)
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below:
Do you have past experience deploying servers to cloud-based services? No
Yes (please specify)
Why do you want to be a node? I'm an enthusiast of blockchain technology, but also of internet privacy and PGP. I'm a long-time supporter of initiatives pushing for mass adoption of PGP in different fronts.
How did you originally hear about Elixxir? Telegram
Which current Elixxir communities are you a member of? Telegram, Discord
Are you an active member of those communities? No
What specifically, interests you about the Elixxir platform? The combination of privacy, speed and scalability.
Outside of Elixxir communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? No.
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? No.
As part of growing the Elixxir community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an Elixxir BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. No
If yes, how much content on a monthly basis?
What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? Decentralization implies no central point of control of global network functioning. Distribution refers to the spatial spread of nodes. I believe networks should be as decentralized as possible for the required level of speed and scalability of the service they aim at providing. But with a constrain: there should be a clear target level of security, privacy and robustness, which should not be threatened by increased centralization for speed and scalability.
As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the Elixxir platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. First platform designed ground up for security, speed, scalability and privacy.
Privacy by Default is a goal of the Elixxir Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? "If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him." - Cardinal Richelieu. Those who are ready to sacrifize privacy for "security" are implicitly and naively assuming that security providers (e.g. governments) will always remain good players, which they may not be to start with. I'm an advocate of PGP-based messaging, supporting mass-adoption initiatives such as Protonmail (I'm a life-time supporter).
Tags Individual, Spain, English
5 Likes

You certainly would be an asset to this project. I am a newbie and would like to ask that would you assist people within our community if they needed Hellas?

I would certainly do my best, Trail21. I’m really excited about the potential opportunity to contribute to a blockchain project aiming at a rare but necessary combination of speed, privacy (including metadata!!) and robustness. I’m an advocate of encrypted communications and online privacy, and I hope Elixxir will fill an empty niche in this space. Communication and education are ever more important for supporting online privacy and freedom, and node runners could certainly play an important role in those fronts.

1 Like

tienes mi voto desde Asturias, bienvenido a la comunidad !! Ăşnete al telegram oficial Elixxir habla hispana y seguro que podemos intercambiar opiniones, un saludo !

1 Like

Gracias Eddy! Claro, me uniré al canal hispano de Elixxir en Telegram, veo que eres moderador allí, buena iniciativa!

Si lo que pasa que me está costando crecer…hace un par de semanas que lo creamos kevin y yo. Ahora estoy con las traducciones de withepaper y resumen técnico. Cualquier tema o duda que pueda resolver, a tu disposición ( aunque seguro q el que me resuelve dudas eres tú a mi por tu amplísima experiencia. Lo dicho bienvenido a la comunidad!!!

Muchas gracias Eddy, estás haciendo una labor importante, si puedo echar una mano en algo no dudes en decirme.

1 Like

What a strong applicant. Could add a lot to the Elixxir community.

Thanks Jilao, your support is appreciated. I think a lot will be going on soon at the interface between blockchain and online private communication and transactions. Elixxir will be a big player in this arena and I’d be thrilled to help participating in the betanet.

Have you ever thought that transactions on most blockchains are in principle anonymous but never private? And that the anonymity is actually easily lost through metadata analysis? Metadata in our online communications and transactions carry tons of personally identifiable information (see for instance this research paper: www . pnas . org/content/113/20/5536)

Elixxir proposition is a strong and important one, metadata encryption in blockchain transactions is the only way towards anonymity in distributed ledger applications. A proposition that will likely face opposition, support from a widespread and diverse community will be required for robust deployment!

+1 vote for a Spain Nodester! 16 yrs is a hot minute.

My application has been shortlisted, what a big honor! Fingers crossed for the final stage of selection. Feel free to reach out for any questions about my application.

2 Likes

You have my support :+1: