Application Date 2019-03-09 23:43:41
Application Language English
Applicant City Chisinau
Applicant State/Province Chisinau
Applicant Country Moldova
What languages do you speak? Romanian, English, Russian, Italian
What is your occupation? Software Development
How many years experience in your field? 8-15
What is the highest degree or level of school you have completed? Bachelor’s degree (for example: BA. BS)
Please describe your experience in the Crypto/Blockchain space, if any? Running nodes for ethereum and ripple for self-education purposes
Are you an individual or a group? Individual
Node City Chisinau
Node State Chisinau
Node Country Moldova
For which networks Have you ever operated a node? Ethereum (ETH, ETC, etc), Ripple
What kind of improvements would you like to see in Elixxir nodes vs. previous the previous nodes you have supported? Easily configurable logging level
What are potential setbacks preventing you from operating an Elixxir node? Well.. if I'll need 20k $ "skin in the game" that would be a NONO! for me, I live in a country where GDP per capita is 25 times smaller than the one in US. And even if I would have that kind of money laying around, I wouldn't participate in this kind of project that would put participants from poorer countries at a disadvantage.
What is a reasonable maximum connection speed on which you could operate a BetaNet node in your geographic region? (Where 0 = 10 Megabits/second, and 100 = 10 Gigabits/second) 68
What is a reasonable uptime estimate you can provide for your BetaNet node? (As a percentage) 99
Please estimate the cost of electricity in the geographic area where your BetaNet node will be running. . 10 cents per kwh
On a monthly basis, how much time can you publicly commit to dedicating toward governance if you were selected as a BetaNet node operator? (Where 0 = 1 hour/month, and 100 = 20 hours/month) 4
If you were selected to run a BetaNet node, would it run on your own hardware or be deployed to cloud-based servers? Hardware
In what type of environment would this server be located? Personal Home
Do you have past experience deploying hardware servers in a datacenter? Yes (please describe)
Do you already own sufficient hardware to meet the published Elixxir BetaNet node specifications? Yes (Please list specs)
Yes (Please list specs) I will actually buy the hardware, I'm not really sure that I will be selected to participate in the network but if I will, I will buy the hardware corresponding to the specs https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/4816439/BetaNet%20Node%20Rollout/Elixxir%20BetaNet%20Nodes%20Guide.pdf (I am aware that for the next phases probably the spects will change, I will buy something that is ready for production also for MainNet phase)
Do you have hardware you would like to use but does not meet the stated BetaNet node specs? If so, please provide specs on that hardware below:
Do you have past experience deploying servers to cloud-based services? Yes (please specify)
Yes (please specify) I'm working in IT for more than 10 years and I do DevOps related stuff for quite a while, I've deployed all sorts of tech stacks on all sorts of cloud based services. I don't plan to deploy the elixxir node on the cloud though; the specs needed for running a node make the cloud not a very cost effective solution in my opinion
Why do you want to be a node? My final goal is to work on software in this space, running a node in my case is just a step towards getting familiar with the platform and learning by doing.
How did you originally hear about Elixxir? Coindesk
Which current Elixxir communities are you a member of? Telegram, LinkedIn
Are you an active member of those communities? Yes
What specifically, interests you about the Elixxir platform? The ability to create software on top of elixxir platform
Outside of Elixxir communities, are you an active participant in other node or developer community groups? If so, which ones? No
Have you ever attended a blockchain conference? If so, which one(s)? No (I did watched a couple on youtube though :) )
As part of growing the Elixxir community, are you willing to create content as part of operating an Elixxir BetaNet node? Examples would be node setup & on-boarding review vlog post, bi-weekly twitter update, medium review of on-going node operational process, etc. Yes (how much content on a monthly basis?)
If yes, how much content on a monthly basis? ~ 1 blogpost per month (or less, I'm just being realistic, I don't have much spare time unfortunately :( because of my other commitments, I do hope though that in the future my IT related activities will revolve around Elixxir)
What is the difference between decentralized networks and distributed networks, and where on the decentralization spectrum do you sit? Distributed networks are "decentralized" from the technical perspective(hardware & software) while decentralized networks is more about social perspective (control/ownership/decision making etc). For example I can run a database cluster on my own laptop and call it a "distributed" thing, because any software failure in any of the db nodes participating in the cluster, does not affect the integrity of the data "distributed" between the nodes in the "network" (that's an extreme example of having something with the "distributed" element to it, and totally centralized :)). Where do I sit?... Peace, love, a better future for all humanity, that's where I sit :) I do believe that if Elixxir will become what it claims/hopes to be, it will enable people to organize themselves in ways that were never possible before. At the end of the day It is a question of practicality, the balance between how centralized a network should be. Let's do the following mental exercise: suppose I would have to choose between: 1) something that needs an insane amount of computing power to be manipulated (let's say that the total computer power of humanity is not enough) vs 2) a "glorified database" type of blockchain (some state/organization won't have to spend too much effort to discover and take control of the master nodes) First option might be efficient enough to consume less energy/resources than the whole "bureaucratic apparatus" of any behemothic centralized structure (including any first world state) for the function that it provides (e.g. ownership rights), but is not practical enough for billions of people where the "fee"(~energy/resources) necessary for benefiting of the feature provided is to high(e.g. ownership rights - people don't own that much compared to the "fee" necessary to benefit from the feature), however the "glorified database" might be "decentralized enough" for their purposes (the "war lord" doesn't have enough computing power or "social power" to do anything to the master nodes). So I believe in practice both of them need to exist and ideally if they are integrated people can move from one network to another when it will make economic sense. So we should strive for maximizing the "decentralization divided by cost" ratio :) and I am also in favor of free market conditions that would create a fair competitions between all the solutions out there (including an open standard that would allow people to easily move their "assets" from one solution to another)
As best as you can given currently available information, please describe the value proposition of the Elixxir platform and how it differs from other current blockchain solutions. The Elixxir platform would be the only decentralized platform (and the anonymity is something that increases the level of decentralization) that would provide the quality of service needed by the demands of our time. In theory its processing capacity should increase with every new node added to the network.
Privacy by Default is a goal of the Elixxir Platform. In your opinion, why is Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet? To maximize the outcome of what humanity does as a whole(or the average well being of an individual), we need to maximize the equality of opportunity for each individual. Owning your own data is a part of this equality. Let's do a mental exercise, we have two almighty gods: The Good and The Bad (insert jokes with "Ugly" here) When the Good rules the world you would like to share all your personal data with him so he can help you in the most efficient manner possible, when the Bad rules the world you would like to share 0 information with him so he won't be able to do you harm based on your personal data. So ideally the individual should have the power to decide what and when to share. HELL YEAH Privacy by Default critical for the future of the internet!
Tags Individual, Moldova, English
1 Like

I appreciate the passion and amount of time that went into this application. It’s also neat to see applications from smaller countries like Moldova. How much weight should the Elixxir team put on “enthusiasm” from applicants?

1 Like