Initial List of Nodes for Further Discussion

we will vote together so that one of them can execute a node :guiño:

1 Like

Should change Geographic Bin 3: Western Europe, Africa to Geographic Bin 3: Western Europe, North Africa

1 Like

Those who proposed the application are also in their duty to share more data and propose ideas, if they are not informed and do not worry now that it is the important step, perhaps at the time of executing they will not either…

4 Likes

It is true that there seems to be only 1 preselected application from Africa out of 17. That makes about 6%, which is below average but not so different from the preselection rate in other countries and regions, for instance the 5% in Russia or the 5% in the UK. I’m sure the Elixxir’s team have tried not to under-represent the African continent, we’d need to look carefully at the relative viability of individual applications before reaching conclusions. Anyway this is what we are supposed to do now: if you find African applications that you think should be promoted flag them to the team for consideration. The list is not final.

4 Likes

Thanks for running the numbers, and thanks to everyone participating in this conversation for raising these issues. As you guys have been doing, please continue to flag node applications that you believe are worthy of inclusion in the BetaNet.

The boundaries of the “geographic bins” are partly organized around the number of applications received from each region, but mostly to minimize network latency. If you look at maps of international fiber optic cables (especially those scaled to bandwidth), most of South America is connected most directly to the Eastern US, and most of Africa is connected most directly to Western Europe.

Overall the Elixxir team has been delighted with the number, diversity, and quality of node applications. Many members of the community deserve a lot of the credit for your help in spreading the word about what we are building. But there are clearly gaps that we will work to fill as Elixxir grows and matures – Africa and Scandinavia are good examples of this.

8 Likes

Thank you @lonewolf for the analysis and Thank you @PeterSomerville for clarifying !

The more we scrutinize the better the end result.

3 Likes

South Africa is well positioned and will be able to accommodate the latency requirements to run an Elixxir node. And will represent the Southern African part of the continent.

0 Likes

I tally 773 Beta Apps from your list, very cool. Thank you for laying it out. I had hoped to make the time to make a map and color grade each App with a circle around the Apps chosen for Beta. To take a real good look at where each is located. And then have gotten side tracked constantly this week. I also wanted Elixxir to green light every App. Why not is the real question, it’s our time and $? I had purposed this on Discord and PeterSomerville responded that it may be discussed, but haven’t heard back about that, yet.

2 Likes

Good idea @KILLth, I also started preparing a map of submitted versus shortlisted applications, superimposed on the global optical fiber cable network, but haven’t managed to finish it either. I also noticed that we don’t have privileges to post images here, even if the editor allows uploading them. If I manage to complete the graph I may share it with you on discord for you to check, we may try to post it there (and/or here through the admins).

As for the green light for all applications, the team mentioned in a post that they have limited resources for technical support. Also I guess that at least early betanet tests may be more efficient if run on a relatively small network, under more controlled conditions for debugging and optimization. Maybe they will scale up progressively during betanet.

3 Likes

As I couldn’t do it here, I’ve finally posted in Elixxir Discord’s server (nodes channel) the map of submitted versus shortlisted applications against the global ocean optical fiber network.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Here you go – I pulled your map from the Discord channel (which I would encourage everyone on here to join).

I appreciate the work you guys did in building this map. One important point to add is that some of those undersea cables are much “fatter” than others, capable of handling much greater bandwidth.

2 Likes

No problem. I tried to find one scaled to bandwidth, but it doesn’t seem a freely accessible information.

4 Likes

Well done Lonewolf! You made this happen.TY for the the shout out, but I had only spoke of wanting to do this. You did, your credit my dude!:nerd_face:

2 Likes

Hi,
This website is very interesting in terms of networking interconnection. The year of implementation can indicate the bandwith. The operator Equinix and Huawei Marine can be a good indicator of the used technology:

https: // www. submarinecablemap. com/#/
(please adjust the text on the link)

and the example:
http :// www. huaweimarine. com/en/Experience/WACS
(please adjust the text on the link)

I think this information it may be important in terms of Elixxir teams…

2 Likes

Great map @lonewolf :+1:

1 Like

thanks so much for map, very good job !!

1 Like

@lonewolf can I ask your permission to pass your map to the Twitter crypto influencer @sentosumosaba (Crypto Eri). Eri usually updates the XRP and BTC community on the Elixxir and she could probably use your map in her daily YouTube videos.

1 Like

Sure, no problem from my side, @Andrew.Paritz. I’d suggest that you sent her the file downloaded from discord, and not from this forum, for some reason the one there seems to have preserved better the original resolution. It should be mentioned that it has been produced by the community from the initial list of nodes published by Elixxir (that it’s not an official graph).

3 Likes

This thread is starting to become fairly large. Should there be another category added for discussion related to the application process and community ideas?

After reading the interesting conversation in this thread and seeing the amazing work done by @lonewolf and the other community members, I can’t help but feel that most of the community is missing out on important and interesting discussions related to the application process. Most of the valuable information and interesting ideas from active community members are buried in very large threads or individual application threads that are difficult to differentiate.

0 Likes